Alternative Auth Methods.

Anthony J. Breeds-Taurima tony at cantech.net.au
Wed Oct 31 20:57:03 GMT 2001

On Wed, 31 Oct 2001, Jason C. Leach wrote:

> hi,
>
> Are there any alternative authentication methods for Samba? Other
> thank the smbpasswd file?  I'd like to do PostgreSQL or mySQL. Why?
> Because I can do Exim/IMAP/POP3 Apache/Zope with SQL, if I could do
> Samba it would wrap it up into one nice DB for authentication.
>
> It does not have to be much, just the ability to get the data from
> a SQL query rather than a flat file query.
>
> Anyone interested in working on this if it does not exist?

Log way arround:
	Samba can authenticate (under most conditions) with PAM
	PAM can authenticate against a radius server (freeradius)
	freeradius can authenticate agaist a database.

I haven't done it, in theory, however, this should mean that given a well
engineered DB you can then authenticate just about any server from the
single source.

Yours Tony.

/*
 * --Albert Einstein