Using ACLs with Samba 2.2.2 on a 2.4.10 Kernel

Anthony J. Breeds-Taurima tony at cantech.net.au
Wed Oct 31 19:36:01 GMT 2001

On Fri, 26 Oct 2001, Manfred Heubach wrote:

> Hello out there again!
>
> I have a problem with ACLs: I build Samba 2.2.2 with ACL support. ACLs are
> 0.7.21 (from acl.bestbits.at) on a 2.4.10 Kernel. ACLs are working fine
> within Linux. When I connect to a Samba share from a Windows NT Workstation
> or Server, I only see the three standard acls representing world, group and
> owner. I have several files with acls for testing but non of this acls is
> seen from the remote Windows machine. Adding acls from Windows also doesn't
> work (no access).
>
> When building Samba capabiltiy.h made a lot of definition errors. So I
> disabled capability.h for building - maybe this is the reason for my
> problems - but I have no idea for what capability.h is used :-o
>
> My next step probably will be to use a 2.2.19 Kernel. But before - maybe
> somebody know what's going wrong.

Basically I'd guess that the problem is one of:
a) you don't have a libacl.* in /usr/lib
b) you didn't add the --with-acl-support to you ./configure line
c) you ran ./configure before you built the acl utils.

As you've probably noticed there are new versions of ACL patches and utils out
now.  I'm yet to try them with samba BUT I will soon.  I suggest you look
again at building ACL support on your system.

Yours Tony.

/*
 * --Albert Einstein
 */