Samba 2.0.7 problems (on RedHat 7.0)

Urban Widmark urban at teststation.com
Wed Oct 31 16:07:02 GMT 2001

On Wed, 31 Oct 2001, Dimitrie Paun wrote:

> > "user" does not give you that. Not with smbfs ... (look at the smbmnt
> > manpage, it's mostly correct except that the user needs to
> > own the dir)
>
> I'm using mount(8) to mount the samba share. From the man page:

You are reading the wrong parts of the manpage. mount only starts
smbmount. Lots of options are not relevant, none of them are handled by
mount.

> I tried to take it out, and sure enough, mount(8) refused to mount the
> share. Is it better to use smbmnt instead?

No, that does not work. You must always use smbmount to mount smbfs. For
user mounts you can not start smbmount with mount without getting those
warning messages.

> Back to my problem, I still have it ;(. I've rerun the test with debug=4,
> I've included all relevant info below. Any idea? Why didn't I get more info
> in smbmount.log?

Don't know, and you should. For some reason the value from fstab isn't
reaching smbmount.  Try starting it without using mount.

> smb_trans2_request: result=-104, setting invalid
> smb_retry: successful, new pid=15679, generation=2

It is interesting that it reconnects successfully sometimes ...

/Urban