Attaching to Samba shares..

Urban Widmark urban at teststation.com
Wed Oct 31 14:05:23 GMT 2001

On Wed, 31 Oct 2001, Brad wrote:

> We have been using Samba to provide shares on out Linux boxes for
> Windows clients up to now and it has worked very well.
>
> However, we are now moving to replace the Windows/Office PC software
> with RedHat 7.2 and StarOffice 6 and so I would like to know how to
> attach to the same Linux Samba shares with a Linux client. Before, the
> staff used to have "F-Drive", "S-Drive" and "U-Drive" for their
> relative data storage/retrieval. What will they have now?

Why attach them to samba?

For linux there is smbfs, but why not use NFS between the linux boxes?
(Parallel with the samba server if you need to support windows clients
too).

NFS has the advantage, for unix clients, of trying to be a unix
filesystem, smb does not. Look for a NFS howto or the docs in your RH
distro.

NFS (or smbfs) allows you to map a remote directory into your local
directory tree. To make windows users feel at home you could call the
local directories where you mount the remote something based on letters:
	/mnt/f
	/mnt/s
(I suppose you could give them a /F: if you really, really wanted)

But that could just as well be based on something meaningful
	/import/servername/directoryname
	/import/ada/documents
	/import/ada/games

/Urban