samba will not work for me... :/

Storm Jumper stormjumper at myrealbox.com
Wed Oct 31 11:06:04 GMT 2001

well, i'm actually quite new to samba,
only 2 days old in fact,
so if any of this is wrong, pls correct me.

when i was installing samba (2.2.2, linux 2.4.10),
i used DIAGNOSIS.TXT pretty much as my trouble-shooting guide.

one thing i pretty much realised was,
i think it almost totally missed out the fact that
in order for Samba to have its shares work with Win98 clients,
the user has to use a username on the Win98 machine,
that exists in the samba password file.

once i added the user using 'smbpasswd -a',
as well as turn on password encryption in smb.conf,
which was properly documented i think.

once i realised that, DIAGNOSIS.TXT pretty much
worked very well as intended as a diagnosis tool.