wbinfo -t fails, what now?

Andreas Schuldei andreas.schuldei at tritech.se
Wed Oct 31 07:38:47 GMT 2001

I have two samba machines, one has the problem I describe in the
earlier mail.

The other works much better and also there I have the (same) smb.conf:
 egrep '^[^;]' /etc/samba/smb.conf
[global]
   printing = cups
   printcap name = /etc/printcap
   load printers = yes
   guest account = nobody
   invalid users = root
   security = domain
   workgroup = TRITECH
   server string = %h server (Samba %v)
   syslog only = no
   syslog = 0;
   socket options = IPTOS_LOWDELAY TCP_NODELAY SO_SNDBUF=4096 SO_RCVBUF=4096
   encrypt passwords = yes
   wins support = no
   wins server = 192.168.4.3
   name resolve order = host wins bcast
   dns proxy = no
   preserve case = yes
   short preserve case = yes
   unix password sync = false
   passwd program = /usr/bin/passwd %u
   passwd chat = *Enter\snew\sUNIX\spassword:* %n\n *Retype\snew\sUNIX\spassword:* %n\n .
    message command = for u in $(who | cut -f1 -d\ | sort -u); do { echo 'WinPopup message from %f ...'; echo ''; cat %s;} | write "$u"; done; rm %s
   max log size = 1000
   winbind separator = +
   winbind uid = 10000-20000
   winbind gid = 10000-20000
   winbind cache time = 10                ;3600
   winbind enum users = yes
   winbind enum groups = yes
   template homedir = /home/%D/%U
   template shell = /bin/bash
   password server= *
[homes]
   comment = Home Directories
   browseable = no
   read only = yes
   create mask = 0700
   directory mask = 0700
[printers]
   comment = All Printers
   browseable = no
   path = /tmp
   printable = yes
   public = no
   writable = no
   create mode = 0700

and nsswitch.conf has
passwd:         compat winbind
group:          compat winbind

when I follow the checklist during setup and I try if the secret is good, I do
wbinfo -t

and get the sad reply:

Secret is bad
0xc00000e5

How do I fix that? what is the problem?

Actually it would be very helpfull and would make everyons live
easier, if checklists not only had the expected results, but also the
else { ... } case explained.