print/queue pausing (and resuming), BSD style

Joel Hammer Joel at HammersHome.com
Tue Oct 30 14:44:03 GMT 2001

> Now I'm curious: how could lppause and queuepause be implemented with
> such a printing system?
You add the commands in your printer section the same as you added the
command for printing.
My printer section for lprng has the following, which seems to work.
 	print command = /usr/bin/lpr -Plp %s; rm %s
        lpq command = /usr/bin/lpq -Plp
        lprm command = /usr/bin/lprm -Plp %j
        lppause command = /usr/bin/lpc hold lp %j
        lpresume command = /usr/bin/lpc release lp %j
I have a feeling I have syntax errors in those last two parameters!
Getting creative, I tried this:
strings smbd | grep command | sed -n '/^[a-z].* command$/p'
And got this:
dfree command
message command
delete share command
change share command
add share command
deleteprinter command
addprinter command
enumports command
queueresume command
queuepause command
lpresume command
lppause command
lprm command
lpq command
print command
So, it appears that you can add some other queue and printer related
commands to your smb.conf file. I haven't tried all of these.
Joel