smbd is stopped

Bill Moran wmoran at potentialtech.com
Tue Oct 30 12:23:03 GMT 2001

If you "reply to all" then the mailing list will get a copy as well
and if I don't know the answer, someone else may be able to help you.
[more info below:]

peaceathrt at rmci.net wrote:

> > peaceathrt at rmci.net wrote:
> >>
> >> Hello,
> >>         When I start samba and then check the status. I get the
> >>         message
> >> that "smbd is stopped". No matter what I have done I cannot get it to
> >> stay running. The only way I seem to be able to getit to work again is
> >> reinstall. Is there a way to find out why it will not stay running.
> >
> > Have you checked the log.smb file? You may want to add "log level = 3"
> > to your smb.conf file and try it again (default log level is 0, I
> > think) It's very likely that Samba is recording the reason for its
> > failure in this file.
>
> Thanks Bill for answering my email.
>
> This is what it returned from the log file. I am a little new to samba but
> it seems to not able to get the address 0.0.0.0, but I am still not sure
> how to fix it. Any ideas?

<SNIP>

> [2001/10/30 12:42:19, 1] smbd/files.c:file_init(215)
>   file_init: Information only: requested 10000 open files, 1014 are
> available.

Odd ... I seem to remember that 2.0.X wouldn't start if it couldn't get
the requested number of file descriptors.
Regardless of the fact that this claims to be "Informatin only", I would
raise the number of available file descriptors and try again.

> [2001/10/30 12:42:19, 0] lib/util_sock.c:open_socket_in(867)
>   bind failed on port 139 socket_addr=0.0.0.0 (Address already in
> use)

Are you starting Samba as root? If not, it won't be able to bind to the
requested port.  Also, check to make sure another instance of samba isn't
already running and using that port (sockstat(1) should tell you)

--
Bill Moran
Potential Technology