print/queue pausing (and resuming), BSD style

Keith Warno keith.warno at valaran.com
Tue Oct 30 07:56:02 GMT 2001

Greetings Samba ppl.

I have a samba 2.2.1a box (RH 6.2) acting as a print server for ~50
people.  This box uses BSD style printing.

I wander in to work this morning to find out that one of the printers
has somehow paused itself.  This was weird cuz I've never implemented an
``lppause command'' or ``queuepause command'' in the samba config.
Hrmm.  How does a printer go and pause himself?  I had to use lpc to
bring it down and back up again in order for printing to resume.

Now I'm curious: how could lppause and queuepause be implemented with
such a printing system?

Regards,
kw