Printer driver information during upgrade

T. William Schmidt wschmidt at starband.net
Mon Oct 29 10:23:02 GMT 2001

Hello Joseph,

Finally someone else besides me with a requirement for driver
administration that might be solved by rpcclient!  Unfortunately in my
case, the Perl invocation I got from Imprints, which was recommended by
Jerry Carter does not work and is the subject of several of my earlier
posts.  My 2.2.1a implementation of rpcclient is broken and it would seem
there is very little interest in rpcclient among the membership.  I can't
upgrade to 2.2.2 just now as a critical project using 2.2.1a is in beta and
can't be disturbed, but nevertheless,  remote driver admin is supposed to
work in 2.2.1a and your problem and mine I think can both be solved with
rpcclient.  So I am hoping...

At 12:21 PM 10/29/2001 -0500, Joseph wrote:

>Maybe I'm missing something but ...
>
>I had Samba 2.2.1a running on my print server.  I followed the printing
>howto and everything was working great.  I had taken the time to set all
>of the settings for the printers, things like memory, trays available,
>etc...  I then upgraded to Samba 2.2.2.  All of the printers are there,
>all of the drivers are still in the proper directories, but all of the
>settings are gone.  The client computers could no longer download drivers
>from the print server.  I had to go through the process of reinstalling
>the drivers and resetting all of the settings.  My question is, is there a
>way to prevent this from happening again?  Can the preferences be stored
>in a file somewhere or is there a way to write a script that will update
>the printers by RPC whenever I wish?  I know I can write a script that
>will tell the RPC service which drivers to use, but how do I make it set
>all of the settings?
>
>Thank you.

Regards,
Will Schmidt