Locking error - Samba 2.2.2

Gerald (Jerry) Carter jerry at samba.org
Mon Oct 29 04:43:02 GMT 2001

On Mon, 29 Oct 2001, Dirk De Wachter wrote:

> Just to let you know. I have exactly the same problem with 2.2.2 on
> HP-UX 10.20 that was compiled by myself. At first samba was crashing
> all the time. I tracked that down to malloc calls.  That's right! I

That's bizarre.  That would sound like a corrupted heap, but this would of
course show up on all platforms.  And I've not seen it all.
Do you know of some client action which can reproduce this?

> even installed the latest libc patch: to no avail. I finally
> hardlinked the libmalloc.a library and that problem went away. Now I
> have the described behaviour. It also shows up with the connections
> error like: locking : delete_fn. LOGIC ERROR ! Entry for pid 969 and
> it no longer exists !
>
> Currently I cannot take Samba down as that would crash some
> applications of users. I hope I can restart it tonight with debugging
> enabled to get an idea what's the cause of this. Just an add-on note:
> I have this binary running on two machines. (untill now)  It only
> shows up with the machine that is stressed by multiple users. The
> other machine is seldom accessed by more than one user simultaneously.

Set 'panic action = "/bin/sleep 90000" ' and attach to the crashed
process.  A gdb backtrace would be good as would a level 10 debug
log.

cheers, jerry
 www.samba.org              SAMBA Team              jerry_at_samba.org
 www.plainjoe.org                                jerry_at_plainjoe.org