Locking error - Samba 2.2.2

Dirk De Wachter Dirk.DeWachter at rug.ac.be
Mon Oct 29 03:17:03 GMT 2001

> > On Sat, 20 Oct 2001, Wilson wrote:
> >
> > I stepped back from 2.4.12-ac3+preempt to 2.4.9-ac8, and this problem
> > seems to have gone away. Sometime soon, I'll try 2.4.12-ac3 without
> > preempt, to make sure it isn't some interaction with the preemptible
> > kernel patch.
>
> Hmmm...interesting behavior....
>
> > Just before I stepped back to the older kernel, I started getting happy fun
> > errors like this: [2001/10/21 18:53:18, 0] lib/fault.c:fault_report(41)
> >   INTERNAL ERROR: Signal 11 in pid 6748 (2.2.2)
> >   Please read the file BUGS.txt in the distribution
> > [2001/10/21 18:53:18, 0] lib/fault.c:fault_report(43)
>
> Yeah.  Something sounds fishy with that kernel patch.  Have you
> search on the linux-kernel list for possible resolutions?
Sorry to step in this late in this discussion. I haven't got much time to track
samba lists.
Just to let you know. I have exactly the same problem with 2.2.2 on HP-UX 10.20
that was compiled by myself.
At first samba was crashing all the time. I tracked that down to malloc calls.
That's right! I even installed the latest libc patch: to no avail. I finally
hardlinked the libmalloc.a library and that problem went away.
Now I have the described behaviour. It also shows up with the connections error
like:
locking : delete_fn. LOGIC ERROR ! Entry for pid 969 and it no longer exists !

Currently I cannot take Samba down as that would crash some applications of
users. I hope I can restart it tonight with debugging enabled to get an idea
what's the cause of this.
Just an add-on note: I have this binary running on two machines. (untill now)
It only shows up with the machine that is stressed by multiple users. The other
machine is seldom accessed by more than one user simultaneously.

Greetings.

Dirk
Ghent University, Gent, Belgium