Can't see network neighbourhood

lukekendall at optushome.com.au lukekendall at optushome.com.au
Sat Oct 27 05:11:03 GMT 2001

I have a setup here with a firewall appliance (which is also a 4-port
ethernet hub), and 2 computers.  One is running Red Hat Linux 7.1 and
Samba, the other is mostly running Win95.  The firewall runs dhcp and
provides network addresses for the 2 machines.

I can't get the Win95 machine to see the Samba network neighbourhood.
I've been going through the howtos, and the O'Reilly book "Using
Samba", to try and get things going.

The error message on Win95 when I try to view the "Entire network" is
"Unable to browse network".

I think the problem is that DNS can't resolve the 2 local machine names
(Samba server "posh" and Win95 client "coo").  I believe this is because
DNS is being provided by Optus, but posh and coo are are local
192.168.1.* network addresses, so you wouldn't expect them to be
resolved by DNS.  Consequently, I have no idea to fix the problem!

Because /etc/host.conf says the order is: "hosts,bind", it appears that
nslookup doesn't pay attention to /etc/host.conf?!

So if I try to do an nmblookup on the Samba server (posh), I just get:
$ nmblookup -S posh
doing parameter workgroup = localdomain
[...]
doing parameter domain master = yes
doing parameter preferred master = yes
doing parameter domain logons = yes
doing parameter wins support = yes
doing parameter dns proxy = yes
pm_process() returned Yes
added interface ip=192.168.1.100 bcast=192.168.1.127 nmask=255.255.255.128
bind succeeded on port 0
Socket opened.
querying posh on 192.168.1.127
name_query failed to find name posh

posh (the Linux Samba server0 is 192.168.1.100, coo (the Win95 client),
is 192.168.1.101

I can ping the Samba server by short name (maybe only because I created
a c:\windows\lmhosts file).  Everything is set up as per the "Using
Samba" book, except for the fact that I *can't* enable WINS resolution
on Win95.

When I choose that, and specify the IP address of the Samba server, and
reboot, I find upon rebooting that it's reconfigured itself to disable
WINS.  If I choose instead to enable WINS via DHCP, that sticks.  (But
I still can't browse the network.)  Is this a symptom of the Samba
server not providing WINS resolution correctly?

I've worked through section 9.2 (the troubleshooting section, or Fault
Tree) of the Samba book, and every test passes until I try the "net use"
test on the Win95 machine, and follow up with the nmblookup test on the
server.

The Samba server is set up to be the local master, domain master; domain
logons are enabled, security is set to user, encrypted passwords are in
use - I've added the appropriate key to the Win95 registry, and
installed IE5.5.

It may be failing because nslookup on the local hosts fails.  Although
the machines both appear in /etc/hosts, and I can ping them by name and
FQDN and IP address.  (This is as per section 9.2 of "Using Samba" -
Troubleshooting - but I wonder whether nslookup failing is okay if you
have /etc/hosts set up correctly?)

$ smbclient -L coo -R wins
doing parameter workgroup = localdomain
doing parameter server string = Samba Server
doing parameter hosts allow = 192.168.1. 127.
doing parameter printcap name = /etc/printcap
doing parameter load printers = yes
doing parameter printing = lprng
doing parameter log file = /var/log/samba/%m.log
doing parameter max log size = 0
doing parameter security = user
doing parameter username level = 8
doing parameter encrypt passwords = yes
doing parameter smb passwd file = /etc/samba/smbpasswd
doing parameter ssl CA certFile = /usr/share/ssl/certs/ca-bundle.crt
doing parameter socket options = TCP_NODELAY SO_RCVBUF=8192 SO_SNDBUF=8192
doing parameter remote announce = 192.168.1.255
doing parameter browse list = yes
doing parameter local master = yes
doing parameter lm announce = yes
doing parameter os level = 34
doing parameter domain master = yes
doing parameter preferred master = yes
doing parameter domain logons = yes
doing parameter wins support = yes
doing parameter dns proxy = yes
pm_process() returned Yes
added interface ip=192.168.1.100 bcast=192.168.1.127 nmask=255.255.255.128
Client started (version 2.0.7).
resolve_wins: Attempting wins lookup for name coo<0x20>
bind succeeded on port 0
Got a positive name query response from 127.0.0.1 ( 192.168.1.101 )
Connecting to 192.168.1.101 at port 139
Password:

        Sharename      Type      Comment
        ---------      ----      -------
        IPC$           IPC       Remote Inter Process Communication

        Server               Comment
        ---------            -------

        Workgroup            Master
        ---------            -------
$

Likewise, I disregarded the section on diagnosing TCP/IP problems by
seeing if you can ftp and telnet to the Linux machine since those
services are not enabled.  Besides, both machines can happily access
the internet, so I'm pretty sure that TCP/IP is working fine.

$ netstat -a | grep -i netbios
tcp        0      0 *:netbios-ssn           *:*                     LISTEN
udp        0      0 posh.localdo:netbios-ns *:*
udp        0      0 *:netbios-ns            *:*
udp        0      0 posh.locald:netbios-dgm *:*
udp        0      0 *:netbios-dgm           *:*

I also have logging turned on to level 3, and after smbmount-ing the
Linux machine "public share", a .log file turned up for it in the
/var/log/samba directory - but no such log file exists for the Win95
machine, which suggests that Win95 is not seeing the Samba server at
all.

There are two users on both machines, with the same passwords.
testparm output seems good to me.  I've stuck its output to the end of
this message.

Win95 is set up with "Client for Microsoft networks", "File and Printer
sharing", TCP/IP is working fine.

Following the troubleshooting guide, everything works fine until I try
to do a "net use x: \\posh\public" from the Win95 machine.  This again
suggests that the problem is with nmblookup, since posh (the Linux Samba
server) can find neither itself nor the Win95 machine (coo), when doing
an nslookup or an nmblookup.

Though this seems to work:
$ nmblookup -B posh __SAMBA__
doing parameter workgroup = localdomain
[...]
pm_process() returned Yes
added interface ip=192.168.1.100 bcast=192.168.1.127 nmask=255.255.255.128
bind succeeded on port 0
Socket opened.
querying __SAMBA__ on 192.168.1.100
Got a positive name query response from 192.168.1.100 ( 192.168.1.100 )
192.168.1.100 __SAMBA__<00>

and

$ smbclient -L posh -R wins
doing parameter workgroup = localdomain
[...]
doing parameter wins support = yes
doing parameter dns proxy = yes
pm_process() returned Yes
added interface ip=192.168.1.100 bcast=192.168.1.127 nmask=255.255.255.128
Client started (version 2.0.7).
resolve_wins: Attempting wins lookup for name posh<0x20>
bind succeeded on port 0
Got a positive name query response from 127.0.0.1 ( 192.168.1.100 )
Connecting to 192.168.1.100 at port 139
Password:
Domain=[LOCALDOMAIN] OS=[Unix] Server=[Samba 2.0.7]

        Sharename      Type      Comment
        ---------      ----      -------
        homes          Disk      Home Directories
        StellaHm       Disk      Stella's Service
        LukeHm         Disk      Luke's Service
        public         Disk
        IPC$           IPC       IPC Service (Samba Server)
        TImicrowriter  Printer   lp
        luke           Disk      Home Directories

        Server               Comment
        ---------            -------
        POSH                 Samba Server

        Workgroup            Master
        ---------            -------
        LOCALDOMAIN          POSH

Surely I don't need to be running DNS just for two machines at home on
a private network?  Surely static IP routing should suffice?

I've also tried setting up the Win95 networking to use Windows NT
domain passwords, but that fails too; after a 15 second kind of delay
when trying to login, I'm informed that "No domain server was available
to validate the password."

I'm completely stumped.  Can anyone offer any advice?  I'm sure it's
really significant that there's no /var/log/samba/coo.log file ever
been created for the Win95 machine.

luke

$ testparm
[...]
Processing section "[homes]"
doing parameter comment = Home Directories
doing parameter browseable = yes
doing parameter writable = yes
Processing section "[printers]"
doing parameter comment = All Printers
doing parameter path = /var/spool/samba
doing parameter browseable = no
doing parameter guest ok = no
doing parameter writable = no
doing parameter printable = yes
Processing section "[StellaHm]"
doing parameter comment = Stella's Service
doing parameter path = /home/stella
doing parameter valid users = stella
doing parameter public = no
doing parameter writable = yes
doing parameter printable = no
Processing section "[public]"
doing parameter path = /tmp
doing parameter public = yes
doing parameter only guest = yes
doing parameter writable = yes
doing parameter printable = no
doing parameter guest ok = yes
pm_process() returned Yes
Loaded services file OK.

# Global parameters
[global]
        coding system =
        client code page = 850
        workgroup = LOCALDOMAIN
        netbios name =
        netbios aliases =
        netbios scope =
        server string = Samba Server
        interfaces =
        bind interfaces only = No
        security = USER
        encrypt passwords = Yes
        update encrypted = No
        allow trusted domains = Yes
        hosts equiv =
        min password length = 5
        map to guest = Never
        null passwords = No
        password server =
        smb passwd file = /etc/samba/smbpasswd
        root directory = /
        passwd program = /bin/passwd
        passwd chat = *new*password* %n\n *new*password* %n\n *changed*
        passwd chat debug = No
        username map =
        password level = 0
        username level = 8
        unix password sync = No
        restrict anonymous = No
        use rhosts = No
        ssl = No
        ssl hosts =
        ssl hosts resign =
        ssl CA certDir =
        ssl CA certFile = /usr/share/ssl/certs/ca-bundle.crt
        ssl server cert =
        ssl server key =
        ssl client cert =
        ssl client key =
        ssl require clientcert = No
        ssl require servercert = No
        ssl ciphers =
        ssl version = ssl2or3
        ssl compatibility = No
        debug level = 3
        syslog = 1
        syslog only = No
        log file = /var/log/samba/%m.log
        max log size = 0
        debug timestamp = Yes
        debug hires timestamp = No
        debug pid = No
        debug uid = No
        protocol = NT1
        read bmpx = No
        read raw = Yes
        write raw = Yes
        nt smb support = Yes
        nt pipe support = Yes
        nt acl support = Yes
        announce version = 4.2
        announce as = NT
        max mux = 50
        max xmit = 65535
        name resolve order = lmhosts host wins bcast
        max ttl = 259200
        max wins ttl = 518400
        min wins ttl = 21600
        time server = No
        change notify timeout = 60
        deadtime = 0
        getwd cache = Yes
        keepalive = 300
        lpq cache time = 10
        max disk size = 0
        max open files = 10000
        read prediction = No
        read size = 16384
        shared mem size = 1048576
        stat cache size = 50
        load printers = Yes
        printcap name = /etc/printcap
        printer driver file = /etc/samba/printers.def
        strip dot = No
        character set =
        mangled stack = 50
        stat cache = Yes