HP-UX 11.00 samba 2.2.* smbd SIGSYS in pread

Tyler, Ross E retyler at raytheon.com
Fri Oct 26 11:37:04 GMT 2001

configure determines that my HP-UX 11.00 box has pread (and pwrite) because the linker resolves them to symbols in my libc.

however, i don't believe that this system call is implemented in my version of the kernel because smbd dies with a SIGSYS (bad arg
to sys call) in libc:pread.

my workaround was to override what configure automatically determines

ac_cv_func_pread=no \
ac_cv_func_pread64=no \
ac_cv_func_pwrite=no \
ac_cv_func_pwrite64=no \
./configure

i don't know if your configure scripts can be improved to automatically take care of this or not.

in any case, this may be useful information to someone.