Samba newbie question.

Sheldon, Steven E (Steven) sesheldon at lucent.com
Fri Oct 26 07:42:06 GMT 2001

Hi all!

I am a new admin taking over a Sun box that is running Samba to allow NT 4.0
users to access directories on the Unix box.

I recall there being a file that, if I recall correctly, equates NT domain
user names with local Unix login names.  What/where is that file?

The reason I need to know is this:

I have a new NT 4.0 user that I need to map a Unix share to.  I can right
click on My Computer, click "Map Network Drive", find the Unix box running
Samba, and I can click on the share.

When I do, it asks who to connect as (name, password).  If I just hit "OK"
it says invalid account for "".  However, if I supply MY domain
name/password it maps the share just fine.

Thus I suspect this user is unknown to the Unix box - I suspect I need to
set up an account for him on the Sun box and then let Samba know too.  Is
this right?

Steven E. Sheldon
CAD Administrator
Lucent Technologies