Printer: Access denied, unable to connect

Peter Peltonen peter.peltonen at fivetec.com
Fri Oct 26 07:22:08 GMT 2001

I have a Deskjet 690C connected to my machine running RH7.1 + linux 2.4.13
+ samba 2.2.2 installed from RPM.

I have setup the printer with RH's printconf-gui as a local printer. In
local use it works fine.

I have the following in my /etc/samba/smb.conf:

--<snip>--
[global]
  security = share
  printcap name = /etc/printcap
  load printers = yes
--</snip>--

and

--<snip>--
[printers]
  path = /var/spool/lpd
  printable = yes
  guest ok = yes
  browseable = yes
  writeable = yes
--</snip>--

Now, on a Win2kPro box I could do Settings -> Printers -> Add Printer and
choose the Samba printer share "deskjet" and install a driver for it.

I see the share "deskjet" as a share on my Samba box KARPALO. If I click
"open" I get the Printer's window open, but it tells me:

"deskjet on KARPALO Access denied, unable to connect"

That is a bit confusing as I'm using share level security and the printers
share is guest ok, browseable, printable and writeable?

Now I wonder if the problem is not with win2k talking to samba but samba
talking to lpd -- do I have to modify some permissions somewhere to let
samba print to my printer? The printconf-gui did not have any security
related options to be set and I do not know anything about how my linux
box controls who is permitted to print something and who is not.

Any help appreciated,
Peter