Cant browse - Network name not found - shares working fine

Bill Moran wmoran at potentialtech.com
Fri Oct 26 05:52:13 GMT 2001

On Friday 26 October 2001 07:15, Info wrote:

> If i'am browsing my network neighborhood i can see me workgroup
> where my samba-server is the pdc 4 (W2K). On W9x nothing is to
> see despite an error on clicking "whole network" -> "network cant
> be browsed" (or so - me german).

I've seen this a lot with win9x and have never found a definitive solution
to it.  So I'd be curious ot hear from others as to whether or not what
I describe below is consistent with other people.

Generally, the solution I've found is to tweak with the network settings
and reboot the machine a bunch of times (on the Windows machines).
No particular network setting, just turn things on/off - change the
workgroup and reboot the machine in between each time.  After a
while, it will start working, and then it will continue working, so you can
set the network settings back to what they should be and get on with
your life.
My guess is that the Windows NetBIOS/TCP/IP stack doesn't refresh
or iniitially get it's browse list information correctly.  Changing the settings
and rebooting would force it try again.  Eventually it seems to get it right.

Again, I'd be curious to hear other people's experience with this problem,
as I don't really like the solution I presented above.  But in my testing, I've
never been able to isolate a specific setting that causes this problem.

--
Bill Moran
Potential Technology technical services