Transfer file

Bill Moran wmoran at potentialtech.com
Thu Oct 25 21:17:03 GMT 2001

On Thursday 25 October 2001 18:04, Edwin Villlalta wrote:
> When I copy a file prueba.sql of Windows to UNIX via samba, when opening it
> in UNIX at the end of each line it is with a ^M, that parameter is
> necessary to activate or to use so that it is transferred well?

Yes and no.
Unix generally uses a newline character (^J) to indicate the end of a line,
while Windows (and many other systems) use both a linefeed (^J)
and a carriage return (^M)  When the file is viewed in Unix, the
carriage returns (^M) are unneeded, so many Unix text editors will
display them as ^Ms.
Without the ^Ms, some windows editors will not understand the file
correctly and will display it as one big long line.
Most advanced text editors will display the file properly whether it has
the ^Ms or nots, and some will even give you the option of keeping them
or removing them when the file is saved.

--
Bill Moran
Potential Technology technical services