Writing files

Bill Moran wmoran at potentialtech.com
Thu Oct 25 21:08:05 GMT 2001

On Thursday 25 October 2001 22:27, Peter wrote:
> Recently I got  my windows computers and my Linux box to share
> files just the way I wanted them to. However there does seem to
> be a problem with permissions. From the windows boxes I can
> browse, read and even write in the appropriate Samba shares. But,
> while on my Linux box I can browse and read the windows shares
> but even though I can make directories or even files on those
> shares I cannot write those files nor edit existing files
> 	Can you help? I would perfer that the Linux bos be the most
> powerfull host as I have little to no use for Windows.
> 	TIA

I've seen two instances where this can happen.
1. The user creates the file in a directory with full perms, but the file
   is created r-x, which means the user can not then modify it afterward.
2. Certain systems (Netatalk is the one that comes to mind) create the
   file and then change the user.group.  If permissions are set just wrong,
   the program will be unable to change the user.group and the file ends
   up with permissions that the user never expected.

More research into exactly what is happening will probably help uncover
what the problem is.  For example, after the problem occurrs, who is
the actual owner of the file, and what are the permissions.  What is this
compared to what you expect?  Quite possible, there's some sort of user
mapping going on between Win/Samba which is causing the problem.

--
Bill Moran
Potential Technology technical services