browsing network neighborhood

Joel Hammer Joel at HammersHome.com
Thu Oct 25 20:21:04 GMT 2001

I believe that you can set up your linux box as a wins server, and it
will do what you want.
Here is what I have in my wins server. I have two local networks.
[global]
        netbios name = JHAMMER6
        server string = Samba %v Your Server
        security = SHARE
        log level = 1
        os level = 100
        preferred master = True
        domain master = True
        wins support = Yes
        guest account = ftp
        read only = No
        guest ok = Yes
        hosts allow = 192.168. 127. 24.3.1.74 24.182.146.18

You will of course have to customize this and  also tell your
windows boxes to use your linux machine as a wins server.
Joel