Winbind, RedHat 7.1, Pam 0.74-22 ohh so close to working

Anthony J. Breeds-Taurima tony at cantech.net.au
Thu Oct 25 18:14:03 GMT 2001

On Thu, 25 Oct 2001, Rafael wrote:

> Hi, again,
>
>             My problem is that i can see the domain users with getent and
> wbinfo, but the login is not granted and the message in the
> /var/log/messages is "User not known to the underlying authentication
> module".
>             I don't know, but i don't believe it's a pam problem. Does
> anyone know or have a hunt???

Make sure:

a) you have joind the domain corrently.
	wbinfo -t  should help there
b) you have something like:
   winbind cache time = 10
   winbind enum users = yes
   winbind enum groups = yes
   template shell = /bin/bash
   template homedir = /home/%D/%U
   winbind uid = 10000-20000
   winbind gid = 10000-20000
  in smb.conf
c) you have tha appropriate domain setting in smb.conf
d) your winbindd is running
e) you have something like:
    passwd:     files winbind
    group:      files winbind
   in /etc/nsswitch.conf
e) /lib/libnss_winbind.so exists
g) /lib/libnss_winbind.so.2 is a symlink to /lib/libnss_winbind.so

Assuming all that is correct you definatly should be able to see
domain users with:  wbinfo -u
domain groups with:  wbinfo -g

you should be able to "finger DOMAIN\\User" and get info.

If you are still having problems the start a new thread and detail exactly
what is and isn't working.

Yours Tony.

/*
 * --Albert Einstein