samba on Tru64 clusters "in_multi"

Todd Acheson acheson at ohio.edu
Thu Oct 25 13:36:02 GMT 2001

I run compaq Tru64 5.x clusters in my production environment and I can find
no discussion anywhere about whether it is safe to run samba on a tru64
cluster "in_multi".  "in_multi" is the tru64 technique that allows an
application to run on multiple cluster members, all sharing the same
Cluster File System (CFS) image. Incoming connections are load balanced
between the cluster members.  I run many unaltered applications this way
including sendmail, web servers etc.  Usually Cluster Dependent Symbolic
Links (CDSL) are used to provide for unique log files for each cluster
member.

Potential problems would surface with shared writable files where locking
or concurrency controls weren't in place.

Anyone done this or have an opinion??

Todd Acheson
UNIX Systems Manager
Ohio University