log activity

Cain Brian-BCAIN1 Brian.Cain at motorola.com
Thu Oct 25 09:05:02 GMT 2001

Greetings all,

	I have an odd issue that I'm not sure how to address.  It appears
that samba is trying to become domain master (or negotiate the master) for
an IP that I no longer use (DHCP has since given me a new one.  The old one
is listed in the logs as "w.x.y.z").  I did a "grep w.x.y.z `find /etc -type
f`", but found no info.  w.x.y.z is nowhere to be found, and ifconfig
reports the new IP address.  I've upgraded samba from 2.2.1a to 2.2.2, and
restarted it several times, and I'm really not sure how/where it's retaining
this address (though I have yet to attempt a system shutdown/restart).  I
don't want samba to interact at all with that old address, nor that subnet
even.  It's making a mess of my logfiles.  A sample is included below:

~~~~~~~~~~~~~
[2001/10/25 10:23:25, 0]
nmbd/nmbd_become_dmb.c:become_domain_master_browser_wins(354)
  become_domain_master_browser_wins: querying WINS server at IP 127.0.0.1
for domain master browser name UNIVERSE_SMB<1b> on workgroup UNIVERSE_SMB
[2001/10/25 10:23:26, 0]
nmbd/nmbd_become_dmb.c:become_domain_master_query_success(235)
  become_domain_master_query_success:
  There is already a domain master browser at IP w.x.y.z for workgroup
UNIVERSE_SMB registered on subnet UNICAST_SUBNET.
[2001/10/25 10:25:13, 0]
nmbd/nmbd_browsesync.c:domain_master_node_status_fail(264)
  domain_master_node_status_fail:
  Doing a node status request to the domain master browser
  for workgroup UNIVERSE_SMB at IP w.x.y.z failed.
  Cannot sync browser lists.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Is DEBUGLVL a compile-time parameter, or can it be set at run-time?  Would
that aid in debugging, or is the solution obvious?

I am using Mandrake RPMs of samba (currently installed:
samba-common-2.2.2-0.99mdk and samba-2.2.2-0.99mdk), and it's configured
with security = DOMAIN, itself as a WINS server and the PDC.  I can include
my entire smb.conf if it's helpful.

If it matters, this machine has two network interfaces, one public IP
address, and one private.  w.x.y.z and the current IP are both publicly
routable, however eth0 (the device associated w/those IPs) is not listed in
"interfaces" (bind interfaces only = yes), and no public IPs are listed in
"hosts allow" (only private and loopback).

Any help/pointers to relevant documentation are appreciated.

-Brian
--
Brian Cain