browsing network neighborhood

Bill Moran wmoran at iowna.com
Thu Oct 25 08:53:03 GMT 2001

On Thursday 25 October 2001 00:39, Bozhan Boiadzhiev wrote:
> without samba i can't see any of other workgroups

Is samba configured as a WINS server? That could be why.
Also, changes to browse lists generally take 30 minutes or so to
update.  So if you downed the samba server and immediately
checked the browse list, it probably wouldn't be correct.

Either way, samba still will not provide "workgroup routing" nor
prevent viewing other workgroups.
Did you try what I suggested below?

> anb my win clients are behind this router

Are you saying that the different workgroups are on opposite
sides of the router? Like this:

	workgroup a <---> router <----> workgroup b

If that is the case, you'll need to set up WINS and configure a
WINS server on each subnet.  Standard browser announcements
normally don't cross subnet boundries, since they're broadcast
messages.
If subnets aren't the issue, then make sure your router is not filtering
out broadcast messages.

If all the clients are on one side of the router and belong to the same
IP subnet, then there is something else wrong.  I'll repeat myself, there
is nothing to prevent cross-workgroup browsing in Samba or Windows.

--
Bill Moran
Potential Technology technical services