Proposal for implementing WINS replication using DNS

Gerald (Jerry) Carter jerry at samba.org
Wed Oct 24 20:48:02 GMT 2001

Folks,

Just had this though the other day.  By using a combination
of "wins hook", "wins support", and "dns proxy", I think we
could use DDNS to implement WINS replication.

Consider this....

2 Samba servers both with "wins support = yes".  Each server
also has a "wins hook" which updates DNS when it receives
a name registration.  Now we also configure "dns proxy = yes"
to query DNS if we receieve a name resolution query.

Now granted, this only works for unique names of type <0x20>,
but it is an interesting idea.

Enjoy.  If you try this, let me know how it goes....

cheers, jerry
 www.samba.org              SAMBA Team              jerry_at_samba.org
 www.plainjoe.org                                jerry_at_plainjoe.org