attention to those running ZONEALARM on windows and using samba
tek1 at pobox.com
Wed Oct 24 19:27:02 GMT 2001
i just wanted to share my experience with everyone to prevent others from
going through the problems that i faced in trying to get my win2k machine
to see the samba shares on my linux box.
basically, i had set up samba correctly and was able to see my linux box on
window's network neighborhood. however, i could not see (nor access) the
for those using ZONEALARM on windows, i made a critical discovery.
in order to see and access the samba shares, you need to do the following:
1. open zonealarm
2. click on the "security" tab/button
3. click on the "advanced" rounded-button
4. click on the "add >>" button and select "ip address" from the pop-menu
5. enter a name/description and the ip address of your linux box
6. if changes don't take effect immediately, restart your machine
once i did the above, i was able to see and access my samba shares.
this might be a good one for the faq.
More information about the samba