Active Directory Winodws Compatible?

Bill Moran wmoran at iowna.com
Wed Oct 24 16:30:04 GMT 2001

On Wednesday 24 October 2001 18:25, Ayson, Alison {Info~Palo Alto} wrote:

> Someone told me that using "security=domain" means that
> your samba server is acting like a BDC

No, it just means that the server becomes part of the domain, and will NOT auth
logins, but pass them to a PDC or BDC to auth, and only let the user in if the
PDC or BDC validates the account.

> and that BDC's are not allowed in a
> "native mode" active directory environment.

Don't know about this one.

> 2) Our samba servers running 2.0.6 appear to be ok as long as we switch to
> "security=server"...why is that?

My be because security=server falls back to security=user if it fails.  If
security=user is working for you, security=server will work as well, since
if server fails, it will try user.

You may want to read through the docs on this parameter and see if it clears things
up.  Perhaps you haven't added the samba server to the domain properly?  If not,
security=domain won't work on 2.0.6 or 2.2.2.
http://us6.samba.org/samba/docs/man/smb.conf.5.html#SECURITY

--
Bill Moran
Potential Technology technical services