"Sticky" bit with samba, is it possible?

Martin Stuij mstuij1 at chello.nl
Wed Oct 24 12:43:03 GMT 2001

I have the next share in my smb.conf:

[Public]
comment = Everybody can make directories and files in this directory
path = /samba/public
public = no
read only = no
browseable = yes
force create mask = 1750
force directory mask = 1770
force group = users

This is what I want:

Everybody of the group "users" may create files and directories in this
share, but an user from the group "user" is only allowed to delete his OWN
file and directory.

Is that possible with samba? I thought that you have to set the
"Sticky"-bit??

So I have the force create mask give a value that it should set the
"Sticky"-bit.

But it doesn't work.

First I worked with samba version 2.0.7

But I've downloaded and installed version 2.2.2 but it doesn't work!

(I have installed samba on my SuSE 7.0 PC with kernel 2.4.4)

Any ideas?

(Martin Stuij)