winbind separator ignored in smb.conf

jtrostel at snapserver.com jtrostel at snapserver.com
Wed Oct 24 12:34:25 GMT 2001

I agree that the '+' sign is pretty reasonable.  It's what I use here.  There
is mention of the back-slash in the doc's however.  This is probably what leads
people to try it.  (The "'s are what gets the \'s to work as a separator in the
conf file because it is the escape-key in shell).  I agree with Andrew that it
probably isn't a good idea to use '\''s.

I _can_ specify

winbind separator = \\

as my separator though,

...if I have a comment after that line
  ;-> I get _really_ funky names though

If I specify

winbind separator = "\\" it works much better but might still cause shell
confusion... (I wouldn't want to bet on it being benign)

But.... it didn't default back to '+' when I tried either experiment. I still
wonder if the separator specification is even making it to samba.

--
John M. Trostel
Senior Software Engineer
jtrostel at snapserver.com