smbclient works, smbmount does not

Urban Widmark urban at teststation.com
Tue Oct 23 16:20:07 GMT 2001

On Tue, 23 Oct 2001, Sascha Sertel wrote:

> 	smbmount //brainless/misc /mnt/misc -o
> username=BRAINLESS/Administrator
> or
> 	mount -t smbfs -o username=BRAINLESS/Administrator //brainless/misc
> /mnt/misc
>
> does not work, I always get the ERRnoaccess (Access denied.) message.

Does username=Administrator,workgroup=BRAINLESS work?

-N is the same as the 'guest' option to smbmount, you could try adding
that. And if that fails, try (and I'm making this up as I type :)
    password=,username=Administrator,workgroup=BRAINLESS,guest
    password=,username=,workgroup=BRAINLESS,guest
    password=,username=,guest

I think smbmount parses a username "BRAINLESS/Administrator" into
    username=BRAINLESS
    workgroup=Administrator
which seems kind of backwards ...

smbclient just accepts all of it as username and passes it as-is to the
library code. Maybe someone else splits it later for smbclient, in which
case smbmount could do that too.

To test that get the sources and remove these lines from
source/client/smbmount.c:parse_mount_smb
                                if ((lp=strchr_m(username,'/'))) {
                                        *lp = 0;
                                        pstrcpy(workgroup,lp+1);
                                }

Haven't looked at 2.2.2 or the cvs code yet.

/Urban