problem viewing the list of users

Ariel Mella ariel at jusbaires.gov.ar
Tue Oct 23 15:57:04 GMT 2001

i have a PDC samba configured. all works ok, profiles, logon scripts,
permissions etc.
but when i go to a windoze workstation and configure the Access control list
of users in the properties of network neighbourhood i set my domain to obtain a list of users for acl the local (in the windoze) file sharing.
when i go to share a directory i go to Add to retrieve the list of users and groups from my pdc,
1) only the first 100 users are retrieved, all users can logon, but in the
list only appear the first 100(i vae 800 users logging in to my server)
2) only 2 groups are in the list and i want to set groups for users because
seting an local acl user per user is a bit ugly.
3) many people tell my thats the problem is when my smbpasswd become corrupt, but i looked very carefully the logs (debug level=5) and nothing of that appear. in the past i have that problem but its not this case.
4) many people refer me to MAX_SAM_ENTRIES = 50 in the source code of samba 2.2.2 and 2.2.1a but when i changed "/source/include/rcp_samr.h" MAX_SAM_ENTRIES = 100 all the things go down, but if i put a value below 50 shows me exactly 2x of the sam entrie example:
MAX_SAM_ENTRIES = 20    show me 40 users
MAX_SAM_ENTIRES = 10    show me 20 users
MAX_SAM_ENTRIES = 50    (default) show me 100 users
MAX_SAM_ENTRIES = 60    nothing....

any idea?
thx for all