Automatically mounting user's home directory

Chris Watt cnww at chebucto.ns.ca
Tue Oct 23 15:04:06 GMT 2001

At 10:24 PM 10/23/01 +0200, Volker.Manns at remag.de wrote:
>Hello list,
>
>well, I managed to set up Samba 2.07 to pass on a startup script to our Win
>9x clients during logon. Scripts execute, shares are mounting.
>
>I have run into a dead end with the home directory however.
>
>I want to mount \\servername\home\username to a drive letter.
>
>Does Win9x pass on the username in a variable, that can be used in a logon
>script?

Must be thousands of solutions to this, mine was to create a Samba share:

[myhome]
  comment = Personal home directory for %U
  path = %H
  public = no
  writable = yes
  create mask = 640
  directory mask = 750

Then I just set all the Windows boxes to mount \\server\myhome as drive L:
whenever somebody logs in. This is also good for configuring programs on
the windows boxes (e.g. Netscape looks for all its config files in
L:\Netscape_Profile, but stores its cache in C:\temp\cache, the default
documents folder is L:\Documents, etc.).
--

"I've always wanted to be somebody.  Next time I'll be more specific."