Tech support request (an odd one)

Gerald (Jerry) Carter jerry at samba.org
Tue Oct 23 05:45:03 GMT 2001

On Mon, 22 Oct 2001, Greg Louis wrote:

> If anyone can suggest a fix or workaround for this, it would be much
> appreciated:
>
> Since upgrading from 2.2.1a to 2.2.2 on a 4-processor Linux 2.2 server,
> we have an interesting problem with Office 2000 applications, and
> Microsoft Backup, on Windows 2000 clients: these programs cannot save
> to the user's Homes share (an access-denied error message results).
> Other programs, such as Eudora, can save to the Homes share; the Office
> apps can save to other shares; and once saved, the files can be copied
> to the Homes share and read from there.

Use smbstatus and see if the file has been open with a RDONLY share mode.
We think we have just fixed this in the SAMBA_2_2 cvs tree.
You can apparently work around it in 2.2.2 by setting oplocks = no
in the share.

cheers, jerry
 www.samba.org              SAMBA Team              jerry_at_samba.org
 www.plainjoe.org                                jerry_at_plainjoe.org