nmbd not starting

email mbcadmin at bigpond.com
Mon Oct 22 21:29:12 GMT 2001

Hi,
I have installed Samba 2.0.3 on a SCO unix server running SCO Open Server Enterprise System 5.0.2c and I am not able to get nmbd to start. See log file below. How do i find out what is using the address than nmbd attempts to bind to or how do I resolve this problem.

[2001/10/23 11:31:01, 1] nmbd/nmbd.c:(672)
  Netbios nameserver version 2.0.3 started.
  Copyright Andrew Tridgell 1994-1998
[2001/10/23 11:31:01, 0] lib/util_sock.c:(671)
  bind failed on port 137 socket_addr=0.0.0.0 (Address already in use)

smbd runs fine and I can use swat to configure various samba options. I have smbd and nmbd set in inetd.conf as per the installation instructions to run on request. Below are these files.

/etc/services

ntalk   dgram   udp     wait    nouser  /etc/talkd      talkd
# If running tftpd in secure mode, use bootpd with "-c securedir"
# where securedir is the argument to tftpd -s.
#bootps dgram   udp     wait    root    /etc/bootpd     bootpd
tcpmux  stream  tcp     nowait  root    internal
echo    stream  tcp     nowait  root    internal
discard stream  tcp     nowait  root    internal
chargen stream  tcp     nowait  root    internal
daytime stream  tcp     nowait  root    internal
time    stream  tcp     nowait  root    internal
echo    dgram   udp     wait    root    internal
discard dgram   udp     wait    root    internal
chargen dgram   udp     wait    root    internal
daytime dgram   udp     wait    root    internal
time    dgram   udp     wait    root    internal
#pop3   stream  tcp     nowait  root    /etc/popper popper -M
smtp    stream  tcp     nowait  mmdf    /usr/mmdf/chans/smtpd smtpd /usr/mmdf/ch
ans/smtpsrvr smtp
#
swat    stream  tcp     nowait.400      root    /usr/local/samba/bin/swat swat
nb-ns   dgram   udp     nowait  root    /usr/local/samba/bin/nmbd
nb-ssn  stream  tcp     wait    root    /usr/local/samba/bin/smbd  smbd

/etc/inetd.conf

sftp            115/tcp
uucp-path       117/tcp
nntp            119/tcp         readnews untp   # USENET News Transfer Protocol
ntp             123/tcp         # network time protocol
ntp             123/udp         # network time protocol
nb-ns           137/udp         nbns netbios-nameservice
nb-ns           137/tcp         nbns netbios-nameservice
nb-dgm          138/udp         nbdgm netbios-datagram
nb-dgm          138/tcp         nbdgm netbios-datagram
nb-ssn          139/tcp         nbssn netbios-session
snmp            161/udp
snmp-trap       162/udp
bgp             179/tcp
smux            199/tcp
#
# UNIX specific services
#
exec            512/tcp
biff            512/udp         comsat
login           513/tcp
who             513/udp         whod
shell           514/tcp         cmd             # no passwords used
syslog          514/udp
printer         515/tcp         spooler         # line printer spooler

Help would be greatly appreciated.

Alan