still having virtual server install problems

Andrew At The Headwaters Andrew at theheadwaters.com
Mon Oct 22 21:03:05 GMT 2001

Hi all,

hope someone has some idea for me...
I'm on a virtual server, so my highest level directory that I can write
to is:
/usr/home/andrew/
I place samba-latest_tar.tar in
/usr/home/andrew/usr/local/samba
then I tar svzf samba-latest_tar.tar
everything extracts ok
then I go to:
/usr/home/andrew/usr/local/samba/samba-2.2.2/source/
and run
./configure --prefix=/usr/home/andrew/usr/local/samba --
eprefix=/usr/home/andrew/usr/local/samba
everything seems happy and I run make and then make install and
all still seems groovy.  I copy the smb.config file to:
/usr/home/andrew/usr/local/samba/lib
so I cd to:
/usr/home/andrew/usr/local/samba/bin
and run testparm and it still seems to be searching for the
smb.config file in the wrong place as seen below:
theheadwaters% testparm
Load smb config files from /usr/local/samba/lib/smb.conf
params.c:OpenConfFile() - Unable to open configuration file
"/usr/local/samba/lib/smb.conf":
        Permission denied
Error loading services.
theheadwaters% testparm /usr/home/andrew/usr/local/samba/lib
Load smb config files from /usr/home/andrew/usr/local/samba/lib
Loaded services file OK.
ERROR: lock directory /usr/local/samba/var/locks does not exist

in the dump, the first thing I note is that for code page directory it is
= /usr/local/samba/lib/codepages
where did my prefix go?
scrolling down it show the same problem with the password
directory and the lock directory.

ideas out there?

thanks,

Andrew Peterson