can not set a users password

Jack Malone jmalone at horizonind.com
Mon Oct 22 12:18:03 GMT 2001

I'm running suse linux with samba 2.2.1a. And before anyone says i need to
upgrade to 2.2.2 , there is not rpm for suse yet an i have never compiled a
program as of yet, not that im opposed to learning just not had a chance to
learn it yet.

Ok my problem is i added a new user to the samba server an then tried to
set a password for him. using webmin an also smbpasswd it want set/chance
the password at all. justs says failed to find entry for davidf. failed to
modify password entry for davidf.

When i upgraded to samba 2.2.1a from 2.0? the samba files were in the /etc
directory. now with 2.2.1a they are in /etc/samba.
Just wondering if anyone has had this problem an how to solve it.

thanks

jack malone
Network Administrator
EAST TEXAS LIGHTHOUSE FOR THE BLIND