samba setup on virtual server help needed

Andrew At The Headwaters Andrew at theheadwaters.com
Sun Oct 21 23:20:03 GMT 2001

Hello,

I'm trying to set up samba on a virtual server - here's the problem, I
don't have true root access and can't write to the base /usr
directory.

I can only write past /usr/home/andrew/usr

I modified my configure file to point to:
ac_default_prefix=/usr/home/andrew/usr/local
# Any additions from configure.in:
ac_default_prefix=/usr/home/andrew/usr/local/samba

the install seemed to go fine but when I run testparm, I get the
following error:
Load smb config files from /usr/local/samba/lib/smb.conf
params.c:OpenConfFile() - Unable to open configuration file
"/usr/local/samba/lib/smb.conf":
        Permission denied
Error loading services.
theheadwaters% ./testparm --help
Load smb config files from /usr/local/samba/lib/smb.conf
params.c:OpenConfFile() - Unable to open configuration file
"/usr/local/samba/lib/smb.conf":
        Permission denied
Error loading services

so, I'm guessing that I have to tell the correct path somewhere
else, but I can't find it.
help would be appreciated.

thanks,

Andrew Peterson