samba 2.2.1a- URGENT HELP NEEDED

Joel Hammer Joel at HammersHome.com
Sun Oct 21 06:32:03 GMT 2001

On Sun, Oct 21, 2001 at 05:52:06AM +0000, bdlug zaman wrote:

> Thanks for quick help.
> I will try unpacking on /usr/local(don't think at begining there is
> sambafolder).but unpacking samba-latest.tar.gz(my one little old)have
> created a new folder samba2.2.1a and rest of other folder underneath ....is
> that alright?
>
> anyway I try installing on root. it works in funnyway.
> I successfully execute smbstatus and smbclient but it shows
>
> samba 2.0.7 (where is my 2.2.1a) <---------WRONG BINARY STARTED
>
> FINALLY IS IT PERFECT TO INSTALL RH.7.1 SMB SERVER UNCHECKED THEN COPY
> SAMBA-latest.tar.gz in to usr/local and start installing..........????

I do not think that would be good.
If you have RH 7.1, I would just download the latest rpm from them, and save
yourself some work. But, if you want to use the samba sources:
You are going to have to learn a bit about linux to do the following, but
you should.
First, I would rpm -qa | grep samba
and see what is installed.
I would rpm -e package_name (as seen with rpm -qa)
This will remove any conflicting binaries and other files.
Then, as root, in the directory in which you have put the tarred sources:
tar -xzvf samba-latest.tar.gz
cd samba-2.2.1a/ (If that is the version you have untarred)
cd source
make clean (Just in case you this isn't your first time trying to configure
this)
./configure --with-smbmount
make
make install
That will put everything under /usr/local/samba, including your binaries and
man pages.
Then, you will have to figure out how you want to access your binaries (add
/usr/local/samba/bin to your path, put symbolic links in /usr/bin or
whatever, or just use the complete path name in commands to start smbd or
nmbd). Same for smbstatus and all the rest.
Note that all the log files, lock files, and whatever will not lie beneath
/usr/local/samba whereas before they were in locations preferred by RH. This
shouldn't be a problem if you are aware of it.
If all this works, you will still have trouble with SWAT and the RH
firewall.
BTW, I have found RH 7.1 to be a difficult platform to compile things on.
Joel

You don't need fancy startup scripts to start smbd and nmbd.
Joel