Error messages to console

Urban Widmark urban at teststation.com
Sat Oct 20 06:32:05 GMT 2001

On Fri, 19 Oct 2001, Toby Johnson wrote:

> I had tried that as well. I don't see anything that would send it to the
> screen. In fact, I stopped syslogd once and still got the messages. They
> even show up on the console when no one is logged in there; it's just
> sitting at the login prompt.

The kernel is printing to the console. You can make it shut up by editing
out three log messages from the kernel source:

fs/smbfs/proc.c:smb_retry
	PARANOIA("successful, new pid...");

fs/smbfs/sock.c:smb_request
        PARANOIA("result %d, setting invalid\n", result);

fs/smbfs/sock.c:smb_trans2_request
        PARANOIA("result=%d, setting invalid\n", result);

The drawback of removing them is that the "setting invalid" messages can
also be generated by actual errors. The current code doesn't know when the
first message is printed what will happen later.

PARANOIA messages are logged at KERN_NOTICE level (= level 5), so you
could also change the loglevel (/proc/sys/kernel/printk). See the kernel
docs for details (Documentation/sysctl/kernel.txt in the sources).
I haven't tested this, but it should work.

Your system is probably using klogd, and then the config change can
probably be done there instead.

/Urban