Request reissuance: ERRDOS - ERRnoaccess (Access denied.)

Raven dmstowell at ameritech.net
Fri Oct 19 06:54:04 GMT 2001

On 2001.10.19 01:48 Casey Allen Shobe wrote:
> Several days ago I sent the following help request.  It is as of yet
> unanswered, but it is very important that I get this figured out.  Could
> somebody please offer assistance?
>
> Thanks,
>
> --
> Casey Allen Shobe
> cshobe at softhome.net
>
> On 16 October 2001 4:36, Casey Allen Shobe wrote:
> > I can't seem to connect to Windows servers on my domain which require
> > authentication regardless of what I try.
> >
> > I've tried encrypting, not encrypting, making smbpasswd files, and
nothing
> > works...same thing every time...
> >
> > I'm also curious why it's looking for codepages in the improper place,
as I
> > have them in /usr/lib/codepages/.
> >
> > root at sliver:/home/cshobe/Downloads# smbclient -L atlfs1 -U cshobe

<codepage messages clipped for brevity>

> > root at sliver:/home/cshobe/Downloads# smbclient -L atlfs1

<codepage messages clipped for brevity>

> > added interface ip=192.168.16.176 bcast=192.168.19.255
nmask=255.255.252.0
> > Password:
> > Anonymous login successful
> > Domain=[SECUREWORKS] OS=[Windows NT 4.0] Server=[NT LAN Manager 4.0]
> >
> >         Sharename      Type      Comment
> >         ---------      ----      -------
> > Error returning browse list: ERRDOS - ERRnoaccess (Access denied.)
> >
> >         Server               Comment
> >         ---------            -------
> >
> >         Workgroup            Master
> >         ---------            -------

I assume that "atlfs1" is a Windows NT machine, though this probably
applies to Windows 2000, as well.

First, did you create a machine account for "atlfs1"? If you have the
O'Reilly book, check in pages 184-190 ( Chapter6, "Windows Domains", if you
are using the HTML version that came with your Samba distribution. In
short, there needs to be a Samba box playing the role of Primary Domain
Controller in your workgroup, and it needs to have an account in
/etc/passwd and smbpasswd for your NT box (it would be called "atlfs1$").

If you're in the clear with this, there's one small trick to getting
"smbclient -L" to work for you. Invoke "smbclient -L //atlfs1", and at the
password prompt, give it the password of the account you are currently in
on the Samba machine. In other words, if you are logged in on your Linux
box as "foo" with a password of "bar", type "bar" at the password prompt.
This will give you your share list for "foo".

I just checked this and that's the mechanism that works for me.
Unfortunately, I can't be of much help with the codepage messages, as I've
not experienced them.

David M. Stowell
Raven (not the OTHER Raven, THAT Raven! :-)
<dmstowell at ameritech.net>

And if love remains
Though everything is lost
We will pay the price