share name doesn't appear

Hitesh Sharma hitesh at induslogic.com
Fri Oct 19 06:30:07 GMT 2001

thanks Don,  for looking into the matter.
I would also like to add that I can see the icons in browser but the name is not displayed and when i click on any icon I get "network name cannot be found ".

My client is a win2k machine and when i do net view \\joy I get ...

Shared resources at \\joy

Share name   Type         Used as  Comment

             IPC
             IPC
             Disk
The command completed successfully.

joy is the name of the server. and the output of smbclient -L joy -N ...

Anonymous login successful
Domain=[INDUSLOGIC] OS=[Unix] Server=[Samba 2.2.2]

        Sharename      Type      Comment
        ---------      ----      -------
        homedir        Disk      Home Directory
        IPC$           IPC       IPC Service (This is JOY. Our new server.)
        ADMIN$         Disk      IPC Service (This is JOY. Our new server.)

        Server               Comment
        ---------            -------
        JOY                  This is JOY. Our new server.

        Workgroup            Master
        ---------            -------
        INDUSLOGIC           JOY
my smb.conf file is ....

[global]
netbios name = joy
workgroup = induslogic

# server string is the equivalent of the NT Description field
server string = This is JOY. Our new server.
 status = yes
 domain admin group = @adm
 change notify timeout = 15
 deadtime = 30
 encrypt passwords = yes
 guest account = nobody
  ldap suffix = "dc=new-delhi,dc=induslogic,dc=com"
  ldap admin dn = "cn=root,dc=new-delhi,dc=induslogic,dc=com"
  ldap server = localhost
  hosts allow = 192.168.1. 192.168.2. 127.
  log file = /var/log/samba/log.%m

# Put a capping on the size of the log files (in Kb).
   max log size = 50
   security = user
  username map = /etc/samba/smbusers

   local master = yes
   os level = 65
   domain master = yes
   preferred master = yes
   domain logons = yes
name resolve order = host wins lmhosts bcast

   wins server = 192.168.1.2  ; our wins server
null passwords = true
#============================ Share Definitions ==============================

[homedir]
   comment = Home Directory
   path = /home/%U
   browseable = yes
   writable = yes
   valid users = %U

# Un-comment the following and create the netlogon directory for Domain Logons
[netlogon]
   comment = Network Logon Service
   path = /etc/samba/netlogon
   guest ok = no