Samba as PDC

Woody Pritchett hpritchett at hopewelldesigns.com
Thu Oct 18 17:16:03 GMT 2001

HELP
I  have Samba 2.0.7 up and running on Red Hat Linux 7.0 as a PDC for a
network of WIN 98 and a few WIN2000 machines. Works Fine.   There are
two choices for sharing the Win98 resource, Share Level or User Level.
User Level wants to get a list of authorized users and or groups from
the Samba Server acting as a PDC. The problem is I get a response saying
the list of users and or groups cannot be read at this time. Try again
later. Obviously later never happens. Does Samba not support this or am
I missing something. The WINs server is enabled, the Windows box has the
WINs server IP address, the wins.dat file exists but contains machine
names not users as I would expect. If this is not where the WIN98 client
gets the user list from where is it.

Thanks,
Woody Pritchett
Hopewell Designs, Inc