possible rtfm question...

Tony Ricker ginchin at telocity.com
Thu Oct 18 16:43:04 GMT 2001

On 10/18/01 6:05 PM, "Bill Moran" <wmoran at iowna.com> wrote:

> On Thursday 18 October 2001 16:52, Tony Ricker wrote:
>> When you restart samba, you only see smb being restarted. Was nmb
>> combined with smb? I see no issues with samba working. Just wondering.
>
> smbd  and nmbd are seperate processes ... depending on what method you
> use to restart, you may only be redstarting smbd.  swat, for example, allows
> you to restart the two seperately.  If one is acting funky and the other
> isn't,
> then there's not reason to restart both.
> Most systems that install a rc.d type startup script will start/stop/restart
> the
> two processes in tandem.  I'd be a little curious if they didn't.
Bill
    Let me be more specific: with samba 2.2.1a on RH7.1 the command service
smb restart visually restarted both smb and nmb procs. Doing the same
command on samba 2.2.2 only visually restarts smb. When I service nmb
restart I get service unknown. Would this change your answer? Thanks for
your time.

Cheers,
Tony