possible rtfm question...

Bill Moran wmoran at iowna.com
Thu Oct 18 16:00:03 GMT 2001

On Thursday 18 October 2001 16:52, Tony Ricker wrote:
> When you restart samba, you only see smb being restarted. Was nmb
> combined with smb? I see no issues with samba working. Just wondering.

smbd  and nmbd are seperate processes ... depending on what method you
use to restart, you may only be redstarting smbd.  swat, for example, allows
you to restart the two seperately.  If one is acting funky and the other isn't,
then there's not reason to restart both.
Most systems that install a rc.d type startup script will start/stop/restart the
two processes in tandem.  I'd be a little curious if they didn't.

--
Bill Moran
Potential Technology technical services