Memory/CPU usage

Jeremy Allison jra at samba.org
Thu Oct 18 11:47:04 GMT 2001

On Thu, Oct 18, 2001 at 10:37:38AM -0400, Frank J. Pellegrino wrote:
> Jerry,
>
>          Here is some information about our setup.  We have 8 boxes running
> samba.  Our PDC is a Sun E3500 with 4 - 400Mhz 8MB cache processors.
> It has 2GB of RAM and a trunked Quad Fast Ethernet card.  It is running
> Solaris 2.6.  This is the system we are experiencing the most problems
> with because it receives the heaviest load.  The system has 144 printers
> and 162 shares. During an average day there would be over 500 computers
> attached to it.  Each computer would have about 6 drives mapped to it.
> I am attaching my smb.conf and a list of patches.  Dropping back to samba
> 2.0.6 fixes the cpu usage problem instantly.  Currently our CPUs are
> constantly 60-90% idle.  With samba 2.2.2 we get to a point that the CPU is
> never idle causing problems with other services.  If you need further
> information
> please let me know.

Jerry has been trying to reproduce this problem on a Solaris 2.6
box at Audobon (sp?) University and currently cannot.

I need some more information on what is going on here, some kind
of test case to reproduce it. Other large sites have reported
that 2.2.2 has fixed the similar problems they were having with
2.2.1a.

I need more info in order to help here.....

Jeremy.