Linux Samba Client access to Samba Share

Bruce Best (CRO) bestb at lao.on.ca
Thu Oct 18 10:40:09 GMT 2001

Thanks for your reply;

>If a connection to a samba server is made, it is made as a certain
>user and you the client has the rights this user can get.
>Use smbstatus on the server to see if the connecting user is the same in
>both cases.

I will test that later (I'm not at the machine right now).

>Further more smbmount (and smbfs) have to use this "singel user
>connection" to the samba server and provide a multi user file system
>on the client. For this smbmout has a couple of options: umaks, user,

The Samba server appears to be completely indiscriminate for Windows
clients; it doesn't seem to care who you are, but gives access anyway.

>Shortly:
>I am pretty sure that you have to look at your client setup to fix
>your problem, not at the samba server.

Yes, I guess my real question is how do you set a linux Samba client to be
treated just like a Windows client?

>BTW:
>Are there any reasons for you not to use NFS between Linux and your
>samba server?

Not really. It seemed as though this should just work, and it puzzled me why
it doesn't.