Linux Samba Client access to Samba Share

Christian Barth barth at cck.uni-kl.de
Thu Oct 18 10:16:03 GMT 2001

> I am sure this is a frequently asked question, but if so I couldn't find a
> simple answer to this anywhere. How do you give both Windows and Linux
> clients the same read/write permissions to a Samba share?
>
> I have set up a shared folder, to which all Windows clients on my network
> have read/write access. From Windows 98 or Windows 2000, you can read,
> write, delete, make new folders, etc. etc. It makes no difference under what
> name the person logs in; if you are sitting in front of one of these
> computers, you have full access to the share on the Samba server from
> Windows.
>
> However, if I try to access the same share from a linux client (i.e., klisa
> in KDE) on the same network, I only have read access.
I don't know klisa but it will use smbclient or smbmount and because
of this the principle must be the same:
If a connection to a samba server is made, it is made as a certain
user and you the client has the rights this user can get. Use
smbstatus on the server to see if the connecting user is the same in
both cases.
Further more smbmount (and smbfs) have to use this "singel user
connection" to the samba server and provide a multi user file system
on the client. For this smbmout has a couple of options: umaks, user,

Shortly:
I am pretty sure that you have to look at your client setup to fix
your problem, not at the samba server.

BTW:
Are there any reasons for you not to use NFS between Linux and your
samba server?

Christian