Linux Samba Client access to Samba Share

Bruce Best (CRO) bestb at lao.on.ca
Thu Oct 18 08:12:45 GMT 2001

I am sure this is a frequently asked question, but if so I couldn't find a
simple answer to this anywhere. How do you give both Windows and Linux
clients the same read/write permissions to a Samba share?

I have set up a shared folder, to which all Windows clients on my network
have read/write access. From Windows 98 or Windows 2000, you can read,
write, delete, make new folders, etc. etc. It makes no difference under what
name the person logs in; if you are sitting in front of one of these
computers, you have full access to the share on the Samba server from
Windows.

However, if I try to access the same share from a linux client (i.e., klisa
in KDE) on the same network, I only have read access.

I have read through the man page for smb.conf, and there seem to be many,
many options with respect to setting permissions for access, forcing
user/groups, etc. I have tried many of them in various combinations, but
just can't seem to find the right combination of options to give write
access when coming from Linux.

I just want linux clients to have the same rights as windows clients, i.e.,
to allow read/write access to the Samba share. I would have thought this
would be simple, but I can't figure it out. Any suggestions?

The Samba server is running 2.0.10 on a RH 7.1 box. The linux clients are
running Debian/GNU Linux Woody (v. 3.0) and Samba 2.2.1.

Thanks,

Bruce