Slowness of Win98 clients with Samba 2.0.10

Bob Puff at NLE bob at nleaudio.com
Wed Oct 17 20:54:02 GMT 2001

Hello,

I just recently installed Samba 2.0.10 on my Mandrake 7.1 box, and am
trying to use it to replace an existing Netware file server.

I have a handful of Win98 SE clients to connect to the box.  After
doing the password thing registry fix, I am able to connect and exchange
files.

My problem is: access is VERY SLOW!  It takes over a half hour to
transfer 500 megs of data (mostly large database files, not a ton of
teeny ones), whereas it only takes a few minutes with the Netware
server.  What could be causing this?

Hmm, may have just identified something.. I just noticed a TON of collisions on the ethernet line.  I seem to be able to pass TCP/IP internet traffic thru the same box (the box is also a Masq box) without any significant amount of errors.  Help!

Bob