Slow response in Windows Explorer Window

Bill Moran wmoran at iowna.com
Wed Oct 17 12:47:20 GMT 2001

On Wednesday 17 October 2001 13:22, Gerald (Jerry) Carter wrote:
> On Wed, 17 Oct 2001, Brentnell, Greg ISC wrote:
> > Our current settings are:
> >
> > case sensitive = no
> > preserve case = Yes
> > short preserve case = Yes
>
> Yup.  That's what I recommend.  But 13,000 files in a single
> directory is going to cause you problems.  Escpecially with Explorer
> looking for icons in each file :-)

You may be able to improve the performance a bit by moving to something
such as reiserfs, which handles many files in a single directory better than
most other filesystems.
In the end, though, Jerry is right.  The real solution is to not put that many
files in a single directory.  Windows isn't designed for it, ex2fs isn't designed
for it, the explorer program isn't designed for it, and the SMB protocol really
isn't designed for it.

--
Bill Moran
Potential Technology technical services